Higher density residential development
will be promoted within the existing urban area, providing easy
access between home and places of work, education, community services
and cultural activities. Primarily this increased development will
occur in Civic, along Northbourne Avenue, Constitution Avenue,
in Barton and Kingston and around the town centres with limited
change to existing suburban areas. People will enjoy a choice of
housing type and location.
SHORT TERM IMPLEMENTATION
- Release of land for residential development
- Preparation of master plans for major urban
renewal sites in Central Canberra.
- Allow flexible development of priority urban
renewal sites, particularly for affordable housing projects.
- Working with the National Capital Authority,
identify any required amendments to the National Capital Plan
to allow mixed land uses in the Central National Area so that
residential development can occur in appropriate locations
adjacent to, and within, major employment areas.
MEDIUM TERM IMPLEMENTATION
- Progressively require the provision of more
adaptable and accessible housing.
- Review residential planning policies to address
the need for small scale residential development within existing
suburbs for affordable and adaptable housing.